Family Law

Civil Partnership Dissolution

Civil Partnership Dissolution

Until very recently same sex couples could not be legally “married”. However, this has now changed and a civil partnership is a legally-registered relationship between two people of the same sex.

You can apply to end (‘dissolve’) your civil partnership if you have been in the partnership for at least a year.

There are 3 main steps to ending a civil partnership:

  1. File a dissolution petition – you have to apply to court for permission to end your civil partnership, and show reasons why you want to split up.
  2. Apply for a conditional order – if your civil partner agrees to the petition, you’ll get a document saying there’s no reason you can’t divorce.
  3. Apply for a final order – this legally ends your civil partnership – you need to wait 6 weeks after you get the conditional order before you can apply.

For advice on the dissolution of a civil partnership dissolution please contact our experienced solicitors today who can guide you and provide you with the best advice on how to best to proceed.