Suffering From An injury or fall while at work
Accidents on a Farm
It can happen
You never see it coming
Accidents on a Farm can and do happen.
The results of an accident on a farm can be severe, often involving serious injuries. People who work on farms are often using dangerous machinery, such as forklift trucks or combine harvesters.
The Health & Safety Executive(HSE).
The Health & Safety Executive (HSE) set out detailed guidance on its website for employers, relating to farms and the use of machinery.
These accidents have the potential to cause a rippling effect of frustrations and difficulties in your life, if you’ve been affected, get in touch with us to see how we can help. We can look after you.
Your Health and Safety is important
Employers have a Duty of Care
Causes of an accident while working on a farm:
- Injuries may arise through contact with animals, if the employee’s role has not been properly risk assessed for its safety.
- No proper training provided to an employee.
- The machinery itself must be regularly inspected and maintained.
- Work equipment not regularly inspected and maintained.
- Machinery must not be available for use unless it is recorded as being safe to use.
- Only employees who have received proper training in the use of the machinery are permitted to use it.
- Failure to enforce health and safety measures at a construction site.
Before working with dangerous machinery, the employer has a duty to ensure that employees are properly trained in its use and in being around it, if others are using it.
Employers have a duty to protect the health and safety of their employees at work.
This includes carrying out risk assessments, providing ongoing training and keeping the workplace free from danger.
The role of the employee itself needs to be considered and the tasks an employee is required to perform must be risk assessed, so that the safest practical way of performing the role is identified, having taken into account the risks of injury that might arise and its seriousness.
Sadly, however, accidents do happen on a farm and sometimes with serious consequences for the injured person and their family.
Accidents can also happen as the result of co-workers using machinery. For example, turning a machine on whilst another employee is cleaning it, or when an employee is required to use machinery or be in close contact with animals, without having had proper training.
We have acted for clients who have been involved in farm accidents, ranging from being injured by animals to becoming trapped in large machinery.